9-11 Never Forget

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I remember that day all too well, I was at home (Florida at the time) watching TV as it all happened.

My thoughts today are with the families of all who were, and still are, affected.
I'll never forget that day. Remember it like it was yesterday. I was in the city working in midtown on 6th Ave and 48th St. Got the call from my wife that a "small plane" had crashed into the WTC. Someone had the news on and it quickly became apparent that it wasn't a small plane and when the second one hit we knew it wasn't an accident. My boss had called a meeting on Park Ave. and insisted on having it despite what was taking place. I walked over from 6th Ave. and could see the smoking towers as I looked down 6th Ave., 5th Ave. and Madison Ave. Get to the meeting and they have the TVs on in the conference room. Then, incredulously, he decides to turn them off and have the meeting. When we were done with the pointless and meaningless meeting, we put the TVs back on and one of the towers had fallen. I cautiously made my way back to my 6th Ave. office, called my good friend and he and I met at a nearby bar (Pig & Whistle on 48th St.) and drank a few scotches as we watched things on the TV. Then we both decided to try and make our way home. Him to Brooklyn and me to NJ. I walked across town and it seemed like everyone was on the street. I was headed to the ferries as the subways, PATH trains and NJ Transit trains from the city were not running. I got to the river and the entire 12th Avenue was jammed with people. There was a line for the ferry that stretched for at least 12 blocks. Only it wasn't so much a "line" as it was a very long mass of people. Eerily the sky was clear blue. An otherwise perfect day. And in spite of all the people out there, there was silence. No one was really talking. Instead all eyes were trained downtown towards the smoking ruins. And every so often two fighter jets would scream overhead as they patrolled the skies around the city. And unmarked government vehicles would occassionally fly down 12th Avenue towards downtown, either alone or in groups. And there was no cell phone reception. I'd say it took me about 5 to 6 hours to get on a ferry. Again, complete silence. And there was the visible presence of Marshalls in the dark blue wind breakers with the word "MARSHALL" on the back and a gun at his side. Total silence for the entire ride from midtown to the Hoboken Terminal and just a clear view of the smoking ruins. Caught a train from Hoboken to my town. It was a lonely and depressing ride. I got home and immediately turned on the TV and poured myself the first of several scotches. And I watched the news for several hours. It was too much for my wife. I knew some people who died that day, mostly old friends or classmates from high school. Fortunately I didn't have any closer friends pass that day. We can never forget.

P.S. And to those who call it a conspiracy, they don't deserve the time of day.

Last edited:

SeanC

Forum GOD!
I remember seeing it all unfold on shop tv screens in Hammersmith, and then immediately afterwards seeing a military convoy on the A4 bringing surface to air missiles into Central London. A sad and frightening day for us all

Boycie83

Space Cadet
It was the second day of my apprenticeship and we were told about it in the smoking shelter. I drove a friend home where we saw it on his parents TV - we hadn't realised the scale verbally. We saw one of the towers collapse - heart breaking.

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
I recall an early morning meeting at my Child Care part-time job. Being a basketball fan and naive, I first thought of Duncan and Robinson (Spurs basketball team) when I hear of Twin Towers. My full time job had technicians at the Pentagon (3rd airplane). They were safe. I will not forget.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
Like every year, I spent a bit of time in each of my lessons explaining it to my classes yesterday. I can never do it justice but it’s one of those moments in human history that they just get.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I remember being at home and a friend calling me and telling me to turn on the TV, I asked which channel and she replied "It doesn't matter." At the point I started watching the first plane had hit and I was thinking it was a terrible accident until I saw the second one. Even re-watching the footage just now to check I remembered it correctly was disturbing.

R181

Grumpy old man
I was on a 12 hour day shift and someone had broken out the TV used for playing instructional videos. I was able to follow the horrifying events of that day throughout the shift. Even from watching at a distance I can't forget that day.

I also remember seeing the planes pile up at Gander Newfoundland when American airspace was closed and thinking they could have landed in worse places considering the islanders well deserved reputation for being helpful and friendly. That day and the days following they sure proved that.

Bob

R181

Grumpy old man
I was 12 years old at the time, at home playing my Playstation in the lounge... I vividly remember my sister rushing into the house shouting "It's world war 3!!!" ...Not quite, but things would never be the same again.
I remember thinking the same as your sister at the time, hoping that there were enough cool heads that the Middle East would not be turned into a glass parking lot in the next few days. Thankfully that was so. Yes, things were never the same again. To this day we are still paying for the after effects of 9/11.

Bob

Boycie83

Space Cadet
This thread reminded me that I was fortunate to get a visit on the USS New York nearly two years ago. I've been on a fair few warships but none with the emotion of this one. Steel recovered from the towers was used in its keel. There's many artefacts onboard that relate to 9/11. They were a lovely crew and very proud of their ship (and rightly so).
IMG_20181115_142932_1.jpg IMG_20181115_142818.jpg IMG_20181115_141638.jpg IMG_20181115_141121.jpgIMG_20181115_140838.jpg

Edit: Typo

Last edited: