4 SR shaves in, reporting back

R181

Grumpy old man
Good advice, I'd been thinking about that but trouble is finding something that's cheap and not a complete restoration job? I've looked on eBay and most of what I can see are very rusty. How do you find something that's worth bothering with?
That is the trouble with using eBay to find a decent junk razor to practice on. I'd steer clear of eBay until you know what to look for when assessing a straight razor's condition. Even for just the honing part most will need far more than just a touching up on a finishing hone to be shave ready again. More than likely they will need a full bevel reset with chip removal a possibility too. That would entail a full set of hones to do from bevel setter to finish hone.

You may be able to find one to meet your needs on the forum buy and sell.

Bob

Matthews2250

That is the trouble with using eBay to find a decent junk razor to practice on. I'd steer clear of eBay until you know what to look for when assessing a straight razor's condition. Even for just the honing part most will need far more than just a touching up on a finishing hone to be shave ready again. More than likely they will need a full bevel reset with chip removal a possibility too. That would entail a full set of hones to do from bevel setter to finish hone.

You may be able to find one to meet your needs on the forum buy and sell.

Bob
Alas, I don't think I've got BST access just yet! At my rate of activity it won't be until the end of the year (unless I take up a new hobby of shitposting?) There are a few other places I can have a look though, without getting a rusty butterknife...

Good advice, I'd been thinking about that but trouble is finding something that's cheap and not a complete restoration job? I've looked on eBay and most of what I can see are very rusty. How do you find something that's worth bothering with?
Excellent question. I've bid on a few lots of razors on eBay and one that I did win turned out to be somewhat of a dud with a few razors that I can practice on. Something is eventually going to turn up, whether it's on eBay, a garage sale, in this very forum, other forums, estate sales, antique shops, etc. Honestly you just need to practice for now, so any junk razor that has an edge that can be honed would be a great start that won't set you back a lot of money. In the mean time, this should give you practice time to strop. Set a budget first thing and set a standard of what you're willing to settle for, unless you're willing to set out the same amount of money for a second blade that you can reference for sharpness.

JayGee

Forum GOD!
Honestly, I would park the honing idea until shaving & more importantly stropping is licked.
Its too much at once, practice stropping would be my priority, slow & steady, video yourself using a 'phone, listen to the tone of the stroke & watch some of the pros on YouTube for comparison. It will take a little time, well worth it.

Its great though isn't it? Keep having fun, don't get hung up on the odd bad shave we all get them.

Matthews2250

re strops: paddle and bench models are the easiest to handle letting one focus on blade movement without being distracted by tension or angle
I have a cheap hanging strop (much shorter than I thought it would be) trying not to hack too many chunks out of it. Did nick it in a conveniently out of the way area already mind you.

Honestly, I would park the honing idea until shaving & more importantly stropping is licked.
Its too much at once, practice stropping would be my priority, slow & steady, video yourself using a 'phone, listen to the tone of the stroke & watch some of the pros on YouTube for comparison. It will take a little time, well worth it.
If I can get something cheap and use lapping film as a cheap entry point, I'm not too worried about learning multiple things at the same time. I kind of like to dive headfirst into things and new skills are always fun (plus I can try and fix my horrendously dulled kitchen knives while I'm at it)

In other news, today's shave was far better. Better prep and wetter lather made a huge difference.

R181

Grumpy old man
If I can get something cheap and use lapping film as a cheap entry point, I'm not too worried about learning multiple things at the same time. I kind of like to dive headfirst into things and new skills are always fun (plus I can try and fix my horrendously dulled kitchen knives while I'm at it)

In other news, today's shave was far better. Better prep and wetter lather made a huge difference.
Good to hear your shave was improved again. When you do try honing your own razor do keep in mind honing a razor and sharpening a knife, although related, are two different things. Good luck with both.

Bob