3D shaving bowl

SlimGem

Forum GOD!
I’m trying to figure out why my prints of late are so much better. The main thing is that they are smoother and the layer lines finer. I haven’t adjusted anything, the only variable has been slightly more expensive filament. Collapsible sounds interesting. Resent downloads have had better stitching on the layers, instead of staggered I’m getting better single lines.
It's a head-scratcher for sure. Another weird effect is that different colors from the same brand also provide different results. As you know, every design/filament requires its own profile. Moisture is a big problem for most PLA. In the past years, I've gotten in the habit of keeping my filaments in a bin with a sealed lid and a rechargeable dehumidifier. I'm also using a filament dryer for long prints. As far as printing the lather bowl, I set the heat-bed at 40c to reduce the high heat thermo-layer which affects the high over-hang at the start, and set cooling to 100% for the first 5mm. After that, cooling comes down to 60% for the rest of the print. The slower the print, the better the results.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
It's a head-scratcher for sure. Another weird effect is that different colors from the same brand also provide different results. As you know, every design/filament requires its own profile. Moisture is a big problem for most PLA. In the past years, I've gotten in the habit of keeping my filaments in a bin with a sealed lid and a rechargeable dehumidifier. I'm also using a filament dryer for long prints. As far as printing the lather bowl, I set the heat-bed at 40c to reduce the high heat thermo-layer which affects the high over-hang at the start, and set cooling to 100% for the first 5mm. After that, cooling comes down to 60% for the rest of the print. The slower the print, the better the results.
Did find out some ABS I tried a while ago might have another go. Is ABS as bad with moisture ? I think the issues in the past were heat 9nes Nd not sticking to the heat bed.

SlimGem

Forum GOD!
Did find out some ABS I tried a while ago might have another go. Is ABS as bad with moisture ? I think the issues in the past were heat 9nes Nd not sticking to the heat bed.
ABS absorbs less moisture. I don't usually print with ABS. If I do, it is on a small enclosed printer with zero cooling, 95c heat-bed, and I'll let the filament and printer get acclimated for about 30mins before starting.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
ABS absorbs less moisture. I don't usually print with ABS. If I do, it is on a small enclosed printer with zero cooling, 95c heat-bed, and I'll let the filament and printer get acclimated for about 30mins before starting.
Have you tried any other filaments ? I tried the flexible stuff, but it resulted in a “hairy” finish.

Keto

Forum GOD!
View attachment 99955I’m not sure who designed this bowl, but I found the design on thingiverse and I’ve found it amazing. It holds my smaller brushes excellently and as I mainly bow lather works a treat so much so I’ve never bought a shaving bowl and just used this. I love the other designs on here but this was the biggest bowl I could get on my printer base the ones with handles were too big and would have needed shrinking. I’ve used PLA, I’ve used it almost daily for 7 months or so and I’ve never had a problem.
Had one like this made and it's almost great, for me.I really like the ridges and how soap comes up and out of them when it's pressed in.
I wonder if they can be made a bit bigger?

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
What I noticed about my Pereira bowl is when I smush some soaps into the center my soft brush doesn't dig the soap out.
I could see that. Maybe better with creams. I assume most will have more than one bowl, so could be paired appropriately based on the software of the day.

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
@Zhang Doe did you get a 3d bowl or more than 1, and which one if so?
I haven't picked up one yet, much less more than one. Shifted focus for a bit ... finally pulled the trigger on moving to straight razors, so was busy researching and sorting out hones, strops and razors.

Definitely still eyeballing the original bowl-with-handle model that Northram Saint last featured in the previous page. I was originally thinking medium size but will check again. Also, trying to get my head around the materials as listed on Treatstock.

Keto

Forum GOD!
I haven't picked up one yet, much less more than one. Shifted focus for a bit ... finally pulled the trigger on moving to straight razors, so was busy researching and sorting out hones, strops and razors.

Definitely still eyeballing the original bowl-with-handle model that Northram Saint last featured in the previous page. I was originally thinking medium size but will check again. Also, trying to get my head around the materials as listed on Treatstock.
I hear you I'm pretty good about getting sidelined on one thing only to pick up something else and it usually cost money, haha.
That big bowl with the handle for me. I just got is smaller without a handle but I like the rounded ridges and the way it makes lather, with one use only. I found the turn down lip nice.