Review Α-Best Hi Platinum Blades

• Thread starter Deleted member 1881
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1881

So, another blade to try tonight.

Soap: B&M Seville (Excelsior)
Razor: Parker 97R

Based on my experience with many blades, I can easily understand if a blade is good or not. From the first pass, it was clear that I had a blade that it was weak and not sharp enough to mow down 7 days of growth. The problem continued on the mustache and chin area, it was really awful. Dragging a lot, the feeling was like I had a blade on its 50th shave.

On the second pass, things got a bit better, but soon enough I realized that it could not catch easily even the remaining stubble and required a LOT of repeated passes in almost all over my face to get an acceptable result.

On the ATG pass it was very uncomfortable even on the cheeks, was not sliding at all and on the chin area the blade was catching me constantly and couldn't get through the hair even if it was the last pass.

I'm not saying that on someone else's face won't perform good, that depends on the hair density and growth, but it is clear that he must try very hard to get a close shave with this one. Even the soap looked like it was losing its slickness by using this blade.

The result was OK just because of my experience with 97R, no irritations but I had some rough spots under my chin, that usually don't exist with other blades after the touch ups. The blade didn't feel right in any part of the shave. The only thing that I could say is that it's almost impossible to get razor burn with this one even if you press down a bit.

I tossed it immediately after the first shave. Not for me. I took one for the team and it failed. YMMV of course. I don't want to discourage anyone from trying it, but it didn't work at all for me.

So in conclusion:

+ : Mild, ideal for careless shavers, difficult to get cut/get razor burn

- : Dragging, a lot of pulling instead of cutting in almost all the areas, not really cheap (1.70 € / 5 blades), gimmick just to impress with "Swiss steel" and Switzerland flag picture.

@donnie_arko Here you go.. I'm dissatisfied and really disappointed with the shave tonight.

Update: Because I want to be fair, I rub my face with my hand now and it seems that except of the area under the chin, the others seem fine, I dont feel any stubble. But I definitely didn't like the way it shaves.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1881

A sad moment Randy.

A sad moment.

It would the obscure Bangladeshi blade did not prove to be a good for your face.
Yeah, I mean, if I hadn't any experience with a DE, I would definitely have a worse shave than this one. The soap saved the night for me. The most important thing was that I didn't cut myself, or get razor burn.

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
@RandySp

I used an obscure Bangladeshi blade yesterday 7AM Durablade something something Platinum made by the same chaps who made your blade and it was one of the worst blades I have used. Felt smooth like a Voskhod for the first pass but it seemed the teflon coating wore off for the next 2.5 passes and got progressively rougher. It was in Ball End Tech with 24 hours growth and really struggled to get reasonable results.

D

Deleted member 1881

@RandySp

I used an obscure Bangladeshi blade yesterday 7AM Durablade something something Platinum made by the same chaps who made your blade and it was one of the worst blades I have used. Felt smooth like a Voskhod for the first pass but it seemed the teflon coating wore off for the next 2.5 passes and got progressively rougher. It was in Ball End Tech with 24 hours growth and really struggled to get reasonable results.
Damn, I won't buy anything similar again,
I tossed mine after the shave. I will stop trying obscure blades.

Last edited by a moderator: